About Driftwood Outdoors
Brandon Butler and Nathan McLeod have teamed up to co-host the Driftwood Outdoors Podcast. Driftwood Outdoors brings listeners information about conservation and outdoor recreation in Missouri and surrounding Midwest states through interviews with an impressive lineup of guests. New episodes are released every Tuesday morning. The duo’s entertaining style engages listeners and makes the podcast fun and easy to listen to. The podcasts are available on the Driftwood Outdoors website, and all major podcast platforms.
Brandon Butler is a syndicated outdoor newspaper columnist and freelance magazine writer. His column, Driftwood Outdoors, has appeared in over 50 different newspapers and magazines, and currently runs in over 30 publications. He has won many awards for his outdoor communication work.
Butler has established himself as a conservation and outdoor media leader of his generation. He is currently Director of Communications for Roeslein Alternative Energy, a renewable natural gas company dedicated to conservation. He spent five years as the executive director of the Conservation Federation of Missouri. He created and taught Conservation Communications at the University of Missouri.
Butler is actively involved in conservation organizations. He is a life member of CFM, NRA, Boone & Crockett Club, Trout Unlimited, Fly Fishers International and Missouri Hunting Heritage Federation. He holds a B.S. in Organizational Leadership from Purdue University, a M.A. in Organizational Leadership from Gonzaga University and is currently completing an Executive M.B.A. at the University of Missouri.
• 2019 Professional Outdoor Media Association – Pinnacle Award for Newspaper Writing
• 2018 CFM Conservation Communicator of the Year
• 2018 President, Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers
• 2017 National Wild Turkey Federation – Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt Award
• 2014 President, Missouri Outdoor Communicators
• 2011 President, Hoosier Outdoor Writers
• 2011 Professional Outdoor Media Association – Pinnacle Award for Magazine Writing
• 2009 Indiana Outdoor Communicator of the Year
• Hunting Works for Missouri, State Co-Chairman (2013 – present)
• University of Missouri School of Natural Resources Advisory Committee (2016 – present)
Nathan “Shags” McLeod grew up in the Pacific Northwest fishing the Columbia River and its tributaries for Chinook Salmon, Steelhead, Cutthroat trout and Sturgeon. He’d spend the fall hunting the hills of the Oregon Coast for Blacktail Deer and Roosevelt Elk.
He went on to play college basketball in Minnesota for Concordia University. Graduating with a BA degree in Public Relations while trying to fish all of the 10,000 lakes Minnesota had to offer. After graduation he chased his dream of working in radio to Mid-Missouri.
The last 15 years have been spent building a passionate and loyal Mid-Missouri fan base who love both a good laugh and conservation within the state. He’s brought his love for the outdoors to the masses through his radio show The 96.7 KCMQ Morning Shag and has become a spokesperson for conservation in the state of Missouri and beyond.
• Board of Directors: Conservation Federation of Missouri
• Co-Founder of Conservation Day at the Capitol
• 2019 Best Talk Show Host: Inside Columbia Magazine: Gold
• 2019 Best Radio Personality: Inside Columbia Magazine: Bronze
• 2019 Best Radio Team: Inside Columbia Magazine: Bronze
• 2019 NAB Marconi Small Market Personality of The Year: Nominee
• 2018 MOAFS (Missouri Chapter of the Americans Fishery Society) Letter of Recognition
• 2017 NAB Marconi Small Market Personality of The Year: Nominee
• 2016 CFM Outdoor Communicator of The Year
• 2016 NAB Marconi Rock Station of The Year: Winner